Michigan  |  Disability Law

Conditions covered under the ADA

Dear Helping Friend,

I have suffered with a daily vascular headache for over 24 years, which significantly hampers my day-to-day activities. Though I am on SSD and have continually tried various jobs, I am often let go, usually due to a lack of flexibility in the situation, which I need. I was relecently released from a temp assignment due to the fact they were not able to accomadate my needs, though the quality of my work was very good.

The short of it is I am searching all over the net tonight to find out why chronic pain or chronic headache, substantiated with medical documention is NOT covered under the ADA. Can you explain this to me? I was informed of this by the agent who released me from an assignment ( for no reason other than they could not accommodate my scheduling need). She stated, "Headaches are not covered because they are 'common'." However my headache is daily and constant.. My specific diagnosis is "migraine variant" and I am currently under a headache specialist's care in Michigan.

Franc