Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

I need to get custody of my children, and I am having trouble doing so considering my past. I was incarcerated for 5 years for Statutory Rape almost 9 years ago. The mother of my children dropped my 3 children off to me 2 months ago and has yet to offer me any help in supporting them. She does not want them, and the only reason why she wont just give up custody is because she cant afford to loose my daughters social security check every month or any of her other benefits. she also enjoys having control over me and my kids and what we do

Asked on 6/20/13, 10:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

While you can petition the court for a change of custody, if the court finds that neither parent is a good custodian, you could wind up with your kids in the foster system. Sometimes there is no good answer when both parents have issues.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 11:18 am
Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should immediately meet with an experienced family law specialist to determine your next step. You may well be able to get custody. You can read more at:

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 2:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now