Minnesota  |  Business Law

I lived with my mother and took care of her. She has passed away. I was having some financial issues of my own over the winter. Excel energy shut of the electricity after telling me they would start me out my own account at a 0 balance in my name. However they have now decided I have to pay the past due amount that was in my mothers name. They would not even work with me on a payment plan I could afford. Can they hold me responsible for a bill (account) that wasn't in my name just because it is my mother?

Answered on: 8/20/13, 5:10 am by Tricia Dwyer

Hello. I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I would need to know more details as to why Excel would state you were responsible for another's account. Did you co-sign perhaps? More details not stated? This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666

DWYER.TRICIA@GMAIL.COM

HTTP://DWYERLAWFIRM.NET

DEBTOR CREDITOR LAW

CONTRACT LAW

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404