Legal Question in Construction Law in Minnesota

I just started a commercial service company in Minnesota and am wondering if I have to put the pre-lien notice in my contracts. From what I understand, this is for the property owners, and as I will be doing much of my work for restaurants, they oftentimes do not own the property I will be doing the work at. Does this mean that technically I have to send the owner a notice of lien? Or can I put a lien on the actual restaurant or business. Thanks

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

This is a matter you should discuss with your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, you need to get one to help you draft your contracts. There are a number of rules you must follow in order to get a lien, and this is not an appropriate forum to go through the various ins and outs of properly establishing a mechanic's lien. In any event, it sounds like you are doing big enough deals that a well-written contract will pay for itself many times over.

More Construction Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Construction Law Legal Forms

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA