Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I had a online computer fix up company fix my computer, the were NYX Technologies and charged me about $400. My computer died a day later. I canceled my check issued. Took my computer to my local computer fix it man. Now Rapid Recovery Credit & Collections has sent me many notices for $800 and many phone calls. I told them today why again and the person I was talking to said he was part owner of the company and an attorney. He said if I did not start paying the $800. charges would be filled on me and I may have to go to jail. Is that true? he said call him next week and pay him $25. to start payment. My only income is Social Security.

Samuel Edmunds Sieben | Edmunds PLLC

This doesn't sound right. Debt collectors usually shouldn't be able to make those types of threats when trying to collect an alleged debt. I would recommend that you consult with a consumer rights attorney about your options. Sometimes an attorney will take on this type of case at no cost to you. I can give you a referral if you want to give me a call or email. Best of luck. 651-994-6744.

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Call a consumer rights att'y locally. There are many att'ys who handle that work so choose carefully.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota