Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I paid my lawyer a retainer and now the case is closed. I presume the retainer was placed in trust (that is standard procedure, correct?). Upon review of the billing statement, there are a some fees (a non-trivial fraction) that I dispute. Can the attorney take money from the retainer in trust if I dispute the fees? Also, are there standard ethical billing practices? I did not receive regular monthly billing detail, and thus was not in the loop as to the charges incurred (otherwise would have disputed them earlier).

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. You may study the detailed rules for the Minnesota IOLTA Program starting with this link: http://www.mncourts.gov/iolta Please seek private attorney counsel as appropriate to your needs otherwise. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer Esq.

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

A Minnesota Law Firm

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota