Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I am pregnant due in November. The father (my ex) was extremely abusive while we were together, and I managed to finally move out and leave him in August. He is threatening for full custody unless I get back together with him, I want him to have supervised visitations. I have character witnesses, including my prenatal nurse, but I don't have any physical evidence (police were called once but no report was filed, no hospitalizations). He threatened to 'kill the child when it was born' several times, and I don't trust him with an infant at all. He currently is unemployed, living with his parents since I moved out of our apartment, going to grad school, about 30 miles away. My parents live 4 hours away and think I should move home, but I have an apartment and a job here. Would it be in my child's best interest (safety) to move, even though I'd become unemployed, and still have rent to pay, or do I have a case to stay here and still protect him/her?

Asked on 9/09/13, 2:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Hello. I suggest you may want to stop at your local police department and make a formal report immediately. There are 24 hour phone sites such as The Crisis Connection with trained counselors ready and waiting to talk with you and be of help and service to you. I urge you privately to confer at length with an attorney right away. You will discuss the details of the situation, the 'what if's', what your gut feels is best, what your gut tells you may happen. You should choose an attorney knowledgeable in domestic abuse matters. Your should take the threats seriously. You are welcome to contact me. Please obtain help right away. There are many protective measures that may be taken. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

[email protected]








Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 2:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now