Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Mississippi

Ex-husbands debts

I've been divorced for 8 years and my ex filed for chapter 13 a year and a half ago. I have recently recieved a notice of order dismissing case. Now a creditor has been harrassing me over a cosigned debt(boatloan). Our divorce decree clearly states that it is his debt which he has since sold. Can they come after me? What should I do?


Asked on 2/20/04, 2:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Fraley California Bankruptcy Attorneys
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Ex-husbands debts

Unfortunately, the divorce decree is an order between the 2 of you. It cannot and does not change the creditor's rights that you agreed to when you co-signed for that boat. The creditor has every right to enforce the contract against either of you. You can try to enforce the divorce court order by way of a contempt motion. However, if your ex husband files a regular Chapter 7 bankruptcy he can get rid of HIS obligation to BOTH the creditor AND to you, leaving you still stuck with the debt. Even the divorce court cannot force him to pay the debt then. You could get rid of this debt by filing a bankruptcy yourself IF you can qualify.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/04, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Mississippi

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now