Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

charge of contempt

how do i find the forms for charge of contempt for back child support? i need to be able to take my ex husband to court myself and the forms have to be free. i am struggling to pay bills and have NO extra money.

Mary Milek Milek Law Firm

Re: charge of contempt

You canít just go to the courthouse and get a form to fill out in this state. You need an attorney. Anyway, why do you want to save the ex-spouse money? If he is found in contempt (behind on child support, he certainly will be) he will have to pay your attorney fees, but only if you have them. In some cases, the attorney fees can exceed the amount of back support. This is a strong incentive in the future to pay on time. If you have no attorney fees, then he will just be paying what he owes anyway and the past due amount is usually put on a payment plan that can take many years to pay out.

If you canít get the money from friends or relatives, Iím sure you can find a local attorney to work with you on the fee. Also, if you qualify, you may also receive free or low cost legal services. Contact the Mississippi Bar in Jackson if you think you might qualify for these services.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi