Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

My husband signed both of my daughter's birth certificates knowing he was not the biological father and has been an awesome Dad to them both for the past 7 years. The biological father has had VERY little to do with my oldest and nothing to do with my youngest. It has been 4 years since he has had anything to do with my oldest since she was 3 he chose to stop seeing her then 8 months later went to prison for 2 counts of car theft, assault on an officer, and resisting arrest and he also has had a drug problem on and off since I'v known him for the past 7 years. He got out of prison a year ago and now wants some kind of rights to both children. I won't let him see either of them. Can he get rights?

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

PROBABLY. IF YOU FILE A PETITION TO TERMINATE PARENTAL RIGHTS AND SHOW HE HAD NO CONTACT FOR AN UNINTERRUPTED PERIOD OF TWELVE (12) MONTHS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO CONVINCE THE COURT TO TERMINATE PARENTAL RIGHTS.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi