Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Hello I am needing information on how to obtain a custody order. My ex and I were never married and broke up a few years ago-our daughter is 4. Currently there is a child support order through the state but no custody order. My ex threatens to keep my daughter from me-at one point she kept her from me for 3 weeks. I don't have a lot of money but I need to have something put in place for custody but i'm on a low income.

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If money is an issue, than you may want to start with the Court where the support order rests. Many Missouri circuits have forms (some online) that you fill out to modify support or custody. If that doesn't resolve your situation. You could just hire an attorney to prepare your Pro Se pleadings. You might also point out that interference with visitation, can be a basis fir the other parent to be allowed to withhold support payments.

Good luck

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

The above answer is good, but I would advise you to hire an attorney who handles such matters routinely. If you are within a jurisdiction where I practice regularly, I might be able to offer my services to you for a reasonable fee. You may contact me directly for a free telephone consultation.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri