Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Missouri

Abandoned property

My ex-daugher-in-law received possession of the trailer that my son and her resided in when they were married. In the divorce papers, it was stated that she was solely responsible for the payments and was to move the trailer within 30 days of when she was either re-married or relocated. The property belonged to him. She was remarried and moved over a year ago leaving the trailer and a vehicle of her husbands. We purchased the land from our son about 6 months ago. How can we get her to move the trailer? I verbally told her on 3-15-07 that she had 30 days to move it. I told her again on 5-17-07 to move it and stated that the trash needed cleaned up. She pays no rent or storage at this time and has not mowed or kept the place up since she left. We have done all the upkeep of the lawn. We just want the lot cleared of the mess. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Asked on 5/22/07, 8:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony DeWitt Bartimus, Frickleton Robertson & Gorny, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Abandoned property

Abandoned property is usually the province of the Secretary of State's office in Jefferson City. You might indicate that you have a mobile home titled in the name of this gal, and tell them that it has been abandoned, and ask the state what steps need to be taken to have the property declared abandoned and sold.

Another option is to see an attorney locally. You may be able to charge her a reasonable lot rent for the use of the property since the date of her move from the trailer, and require her to pay this by placing a lien on the trailer.

Another option is to offer to buy the trailer for some small amount and then resell it to a dealer or someone else who can move it for you.

I would suggest you see a local attorney and get advice about how best to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/07, 9:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now