Legal Question in Personal Injury in Missouri

Carbon monoxide poisoning

11-2-02 I suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in a house I was renting. Landlords told me they would take care of all medical bills and insisted I hire a lawyer to ensure their homeowners insurance would pay.Within six weeks I had hired Brown & Crouppen. After 17 months I was informed by Brown & Crouppen that I did not have a case and the statutes of limitations was almost up. I beleive I do have a case and need to find a lawyer to represent me. I spent 3 days in the hospitaland have no medical insurance. I have the fire dept.rescue reports indicating that the furnace malfunctioned. Does this sound like I have a case?

Asked on 4/01/04, 9:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony DeWitt Bartimus, Frickleton Robertson & Gorny, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Carbon monoxide poisoning

I agree with Mr. Farris' comments about the case. Certain law firms that advertise (though certainly not all) operate on what I call the fishing net theory. They advertise for all kinds of cases, and the keep the big ones and throw back the little ones. It sounds like your case doesn't meet their threshold.

Have you have a neuropsychological workup? Do you know if there is any permanent damage as a result of the exposure to CO? Do you have permanent impairment in any other areas? What about problems sleeping, etc?

You need to have this action evaluated by competent counsel who can determine whether the level of your damages supports your claim. Keep in mind that an attorney who spends $50,000 to get you $60,000 hasn't done you much of a favor. What attorneys look for are permanent injury that either causes you to spend money, or affects your long-term ability to earn money.

Mr. Farris is an excellent attorney and a fine man. You could rely on him if your case is located in the St. Louis area. If you are closer to the middle or western side of the state, our firm hs offices in Jefferson City and Kansas City.

Read more
4/02/04, 8:45 am
Spencer Farris The S.E. Farris Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Carbon monoxide poisoning

The statute of limitations for premises liability, or for defective products, is five years in Missouri.

Yes, you have a case. It was probably the opinion of B&C that the case was not economically feasible. Unless you have permanent injury, they may be right. However, you still may want to handle your case yourself, or you may wish to speak with other lawyers. If you have questions, or need some direction, I am happy to discuss this with you further.

Read more
4/01/04, 10:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

8822 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessRiverside, San Bernardino, CA
Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq.Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At LawMorro Bay, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now