Legal Question in Traffic Law in Missouri

My 20 yr old son pulled over when a cop was following him. The cop did not use lights. As there was no shoulder my son pulled into a driveway. The cop pulled in behind him, made him get out of the car, pulled a gun on him, made him lie face down and then handcuffed him. Searched his car, then took him to jail where he was fingerprinted and his photo was taken. They did not read him his rights, they did not let a friend take his car (in was impounded). He was in jail 4 hrs, he was told to call a bailsbondsman if he wanted out. He got a ticket for speeding, a ticket for C&I and a ticket for shutting off his headlamps. All this without the cop even turning his lights on. We need help

Anthony Smith LawSmith

It isn't clear what exact help you seek. There are many attorneys in your area that can defend him on the the tickets. Let me know if you need a referral. If you wish to raise a complaint about the treatment by the officer, that is a different matter. It does not appear that there are sufficient facts to support a civil rights civil suit. But, there may be facts you were not able to provide here, that could change that. Your Son should consult directly with a civil practice attorney in his area.

Good luck

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Obviously, the first thing your son needs to do is to hire an attorney to defend the charges against him. If the charges are pending within a jurisdiction whjere I practice regularly, I might be able to offeer my services for a reasonable fee. I have handled hundreds of such charges over the last thirty-five years. Please feel free to contact me or have your son contact me for a free telephone consultation.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Missouri