Nevada  |  Legal Malpractice

Can I be threatened to settle an eitht figure case

For many years my lawyer stated that I had a locked case. Nothing could stop us from winning at least eight figures and he wrote this in many letters to my bank. A few weeks before our court date he tried to have me settle for six small figues and I refused. I and my family had been through tooooo much. He and his other lawyers got very angry and began to threaten me with phone messages which I have saved. There is alot more to this case but I am trying to keep it short. Is this legal or can I do I have any legal rights.

Answered on: 4/23/04, 10:23 am by Joel Selik

Re: Can I be threatened to settle an eitht figure case

Threats are not proper, best advice and providing consequences are proper. It is hard to tell the difference between the two. It is difficult to get any verdict thise days and their may (or may not) be good reasons for the change. The attorney should be able to articulate for you the reasons. You can also have a review by a proper attorney, though it is always easy to arm chair quarterback.

Joel Selik

San Diego and Las Vegas

702-243-1790

800-894-2889

www.SelikLaw.com Box 1448 San Diego And Las Vegas, CA 92079

Answered on: 4/22/04, 6:22 pm by James Smith

There is a saying. "Cases never get better, they only get worse." Just because your attorney at one time thought the case was bigger than it can settle for at this time is not unusual. You are going from sales puffing to a reality check with the lawyers for the defendant(s).

James E. Smith Ltd. 7251 W. Lake Mead Blvd., Suite 300 Las Vegas, NV 89128