Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Jersey

I engaged in a one-time internet sex chat with a 17 year-old ( I am 30). I am worried if she reports me because I have heard that it is a crime in New Jersey, & also a federal crime, to engage in sexually explicit chat with a minor. We didn't exchange pictures or pornography or anything, & we didn't talk about meeting up at all. How often, realistically, does the federal government, or new jersey for that matter, prosecute people for engaging in sexual roleplaying with a minor?

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

I have no idea. The prosecutors are going to protect our children.

I suggest you stop it immediately.

I suggest you go get some help, from a psychologist or psychiatrist.

And yes, you may have committed a crime.

Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

24/7 You are lucky you were not talking to a detective, posing as a child. You would be sitting in jail right now.

Barry Kozyra Kozyra & Hartz, LLC

We have worked on similar cases in the recent past and they can be and are prosecuted. I suggest that you meet with counsel at once to determine your best course of action.

We have a number of lawyers here who could assist you. Please call for an appointment if you are interested.

Disclaimer: Your question and any response given are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The response given is not intended to be relied upon by you or anyone else as it is based only on the limited information which you have provided. Other information is needed before advice can be given including facts which you have not supplied which may change the response to your question. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to assess your legal rights so as not to prejudice yourself.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Jersey