Legal Question in Consumer Law in New Jersey

Is this Bait and Switch?

My friend Bought an online game which has a ''buddy code'' on it for $50. The code allowed me to use his CD to install that same game and setup a trial account. No where on the box does it say that upon completion of the trail period of 10 days that the friend who used the code will have to buy thier own copy of the game. It also didn't state that in the terms of use I had to agree to online. This game is a pay by month game of $15 a month.

Are what they doing considered Illegal in some sort of way?

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

Re: Is this Bait and Switch?

The practice is not "bait and switch," but arguably it is a violation of the New Jersey consumer fraud law anyway. However, unless you have paid much more than the $50 price for the game, you damages are not high enough to make the matter worth pursuing even on your own. If you feel angry enough about it, you should write to the Attorney General of New Jersey and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. They might be able to discourage the practice so that no one else is deceived.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Consumer Law Legal Forms