New Jersey  |  Entertainment Law

Do I have a case worth pursuing against my publisher? In 2008 I signed a contract for a novel I'd written with a publisher, indicating quarterly payments for sales, as well as royalty statements. It's been 2 years, and I have yet to receive a payment or statement. I contacted them last year and my contact (Kim) said they'd be issuing the statement by January 30th (2010). It never happened, and then in June I contacted her again and she said I "just reached payout" and they'd be doing the checks between August 1th and the 15th. Still nothing. Now I don't think I sold that many books because their advertising was poor (maybe 50 copies), but could I take them to law, and if so, what for? Breach of Contract? Something bigger?

Answered on: 8/26/10, 10:23 am by Marc Greenberg

For breach of contract, you will need just that... the Contract.

Read it and determine what your rights are as to payments and statements.

What they say to you is practically worthless because I am sure the contract spells out their rights and responsibilities.

If you need me to review the contract or demand the contract from your publisher, let me know.

Law Office of David Watkins 285 Closter Dock Rd Closter, NJ 07640