New Jersey  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/20/05, 2:46 pm

Can son move in with father when he turns 18?

My son turned 18 in March. His mother and I divorced when he 5 yrs old and selected joint custody with mother as custodial parent. Standard visitation of every other weekend, etc. He is going to college in Aug/Sept and wants to change living arrangement to split time between both parents (with an established schedule). His mother refuses to allow him to change living arrangement. He is on 6 months probation for an incident when he was 17 (with 5 months to go). Is he considered within ''Age of Majority'' and can make his own decision? Is he emancipated, legally, or not since he is going to college. (I know that he is not considered emancipated in concerns to divorce but how about making his own decisions. Thank you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search