New Jersey  |  Civil Litigation

Car damage in private parking lot

I park my car in a private parking lot underneath my building. Today I notice that my molding was scrapped and I am positive that it was the car next to me because the car next to me has its left bumper scratched which matches up exactly where my damage was done. Also my molding has red paint deposits where it was scratched which match the color of the other car. I have no proof, however, that the other car damaged mine. No witnesses, except what I stated above.

My question is this: Should I confront the owner of the car or should just forget it? Should I leave a note on the other car? I don't know the person who drives the other car, and I don't want to caused a feud; but I want the car owner to be more careful parking next to me. It is not a simple little scrap, it quite noticeable. If this occurs again should I report it to the police and take the car owner to small claims court? Please advise.