Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Jersey

Car damage in private parking lot

I park my car in a private parking lot underneath my building. Today I notice that my molding was scrapped and I am positive that it was the car next to me because the car next to me has its left bumper scratched which matches up exactly where my damage was done. Also my molding has red paint deposits where it was scratched which match the color of the other car. I have no proof, however, that the other car damaged mine. No witnesses, except what I stated above.

My question is this: Should I confront the owner of the car or should just forget it? Should I leave a note on the other car? I don't know the person who drives the other car, and I don't want to caused a feud; but I want the car owner to be more careful parking next to me. It is not a simple little scrap, it quite noticeable. If this occurs again should I report it to the police and take the car owner to small claims court? Please advise.

Andrew Frisch Morgan & Morgan, P.A.

Re: Car damage in private parking lot

At a minimum you should take pictures of both your car and the offending vehicle (at the points of damage) to document what has gone on and protect your rights for the future.

You probably should also write a little note to your neighbor suggesting that they be a little more careful (and keep a copy for yourself).

By documenting the damage, should it get to the point where you feel it's necessary to fix, you will then have the evidence required for a small claims case.

Good luck!

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Jersey

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms