Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

I am a citizen of the US. Can I apply for my sister who lives in Georgia(country) and how long will she have to wait?

ANUJ SHARMA, ESQ. A SHARMA LAW FIRM, PLLC

It will take around 10-12 years for her to immigrate to US. That is if you file the petition ASAP. The longer you delay, the longer it will take. Please call for a free consultation.

James Brown Brown Law Practice, PLLC

You should also be aware that the Immigration Reform Bill passed by the Senate eliminates the fourth preference category, which is presently what allows U.S. citizens to sponsor their siblings. There would be an 18 month grace period after the bill takes effect- which will only happen if Congress passes a similar bill- in which to file a petition for a sibling. After that, siblings would only be able to immigrate under the proposed merit based system, which would take into account other factors besides the sibling relationship, such as education and employment.

Therefore, if you are planning on petitioning for your sibling you should do so soon.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA