New Jersey  |  Employment Law

The company I work for was recently sold and they have begun offering severance packages to those who will be laid off. Essentially, 1 week for every year, so, in my case, we're talking about 4 weeks severance. Part of the severance agreement is a stipulation that upon accepting the severance, you agree not to sue the employer for "any and all reasons".

The problem is there is currently a DEP investigation going on at my work site which is a chemical plant and warehouse. Our management sent out an email claiming the investigation was nothing of concern.

My question is, what if there are toxic issues at the site and I accept the severance agreement, does this mean if I develop an illness relating to any toxic exposure that I cannot sue to recover damages? I'm not sure 4 weeks severance is worth giving up the right to sue. Any help would be appreciated regarding this dilemma.