New Jersey  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

My girlfriend recently left me, living at her employers? We both signed the lease with her employer being a guarantor on the lease. When can I demand she remove her stuff and then me change the locks?

Answered on: 4/13/13, 1:36 pm by Robert Gleaner

You can make a demand any time you want. However, her rights and obligations to the property are controlled by the lease. As long as she is paying rent, she probably has the right to keep her stuff in the apartment. It would be best for you to discuss with her what her intent is and make amicable arrangements with her one way or the other. Neither of you would want to incur the time and expense of having a Court decide these issues.

Keep in mind that this answer is given based on the scanty information you have provided. My answer may change based on other information. Further, you cannot rely on this answer since you have not retained me as your attorney. To be sure that you have accurate information and direction, you should consult with an attorney. Good luck. Rob Gleaner

Robert A. Gleaner, P.C. 415 S. White Horse Pike Audubon, NJ 08106