Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

Upon RENEWING S/F rental lease in NJ, in addition to showing (again) court ordered permanent alimony (which is more than 4x the rent) and credit score, landlord will not renew my lease since I can not show the full years rent, non-alimony, in an existing account. 11 months of rent have been paid on time. Is this legal??? My lease expires in 6 weeks ...

Matthew Schutz Matthew R. Schutz, Esq.

Commercial rentals in NJ are much different than residential rentals. In a residential lease, the LL is limited in his ability to evict or non-renew by the Anti Eviction act. Commercial LL's are not bound by the act, and can evict on almost any basis, as long as it does not go against public policy. There is a question here as to requiring reserves in non-alimony based funds, since in most circumstances one cannot discriminate based on The fact that income is derived by alimony.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms