Legal Question in Constitutional Law in New York

giving out your bank account number

I have had severl people approach me because our local grammer school will start using FACTS to collect monthy payments directly out of your bank account. I am an advicate for the poor and several of the people approached me and they were told they muxt give out their acount number by the principal. Is this leagal. The families do not want to give out any information that will give anyone access to their accounts. Do they have no right to privacy?

Stephen Loeb Law Office of Stephen R. Loeb

Re: giving out your bank account number

There is nothing illegal about the process, so long as the Payee is not taking money to which it is not entitled. Generally schools would be happy to take full fees up front and then it is not necessary to provide information, or perhaps the school has another payment plan, or the parents prefer another school that does not require direct payments. If enough parents protest, the school may reconsider.

Should you like to discuss this or any other legal matter, you can e-mail me for more information about low cost face-to-face, on-line, or a telephone consultation with a lawyer in our office.

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in New York