Legal Question in Consumer Law in New York

I had a contractor come to my house and do an estimate for a remodel job. He came back with a quote and I foolishly signed the quote. After he left I realized that he was significantly overcharging for the work. I received two additional estimates and also priced the material myself. I was right. The amount he wants is absolutely ridiculous. There has not been any money given to the contractor. The piece of paper I signed says Contractor's Invoice. It does not say Contract. There are not any terms on this such as start or end date. It is not itemized at all, just a total price of the job. Since there has not been any exchange of money and there is not a start date indicated is this a legal contract?

SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN LAW OFFICES OF SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN, ESQ.,

No. You had better send a certified mail letter or fax (with receipt) indicating you changed your mind because of financial troubles and inability to afford his price.

ANUJ SHARMA, ESQ. A SHARMA LAW FIRM, PLLC

No, this may not amount to a valid contract. It would merely mean that you will have to pay that much money if he does the work. Please make him aware that you do not need any services from him and keep it documented.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New York

Consumer Law Legal Forms