Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

My father passed away recently and my family made a courtesy call to his credit union informing them of his death. The Credit Union then proceeded to freeze the accounts and used the funds from his savings account and applied it towards his credit card debt. After we contacted them requesting an explanation, they sent an email stating what they had done. Is there anything we can do to get the funds back?

Asked on 5/08/13, 8:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless his credit card agreement permits that, they had no authority. The estate would have to sue. However, they could counterclaim for the $ owed.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 9:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now