Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

A friend borrowed $10K from me and said she would return the money once her school loan comes in. Can I and HOW can I state in a loan agreement that if he defaults I will have the right to intercept the school loans that is coming to her?

Asked on 9/28/13, 6:25 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This should have been done before you gave her the $. Do you have any written proof of the loan?

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 7:05 pm
Marshall Isaacs Marshall R. Isaacs, Attorney At Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The type of agreement you describe should've been prepared and signed before you gave your friend the money. Even if you could have convinced your friend to sign off on that type of agreement, it wouldn't have been binding on the lender because you are not in "privity of contract" with the lender. As a practical matter, a big commercial lender wouldn't want anything to do with a small, personal agreement between you and you friend. The situation would be similar to having your friend ask a McDonalds cashier to cut your Big Mac in half and to deliver it to you at your table.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/13, 5:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now