New York  |  Entertainment Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/21/13, 6:12 am

A writer will be writing a screenplay based on her published book. A producer would like to engage me as a future director of the film in navigating that writer in her writing process, by giving a direction, comments, suggestions, analysis of the script, etc, to make sure the script is written according to my vision of the story.

If I get involved with the process without an agreement would I have a legal claim if for some reason I ended up not directing this film?

2 Answers

Answered on: 3/21/13, 6:55 am by David Leon

Probably not. Even if you did, you would have a very difficult time trying to prove it, or even entering evidence into a subsequent court battle. The rule of thumb is "if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen."

For more information, please visit our website:

Also, please read our disclaimer:

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

David L. Leon, P.C. 3500 Oak Lawn Ave., Ste. 205 Dallas, TX 75219

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 3/22/13, 6:37 am by Jignesh Shah

You likely would have a claim under equitable theories, such as unjust enrichment. Under the theory of unjust enrichment, you will have to demonstrate that the writer and/or the producer benefitted, at your expense, and that equity and good conscience require restitution. See Leibowitz v. Cornell Univ., 584 F.3d 487, 509, n.9 (2d Cir. 2009). I, however, would still want my rights to be better protected by a contract, rather than leave my damages to be determined by the judge or jury.

Licensed in N.Y. and N.J.

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Jignesh J. Shah, LLC 710 Tennent Road, Suite 101 Manalapan, NJ 07726

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search