Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My husband and I lived in NY for 8 years. We had separate checking accounts and separate credit cards. We then moved to CA. He opened 2 additional credit cards in CA (I did not co-sign). We lived there together for 22 months. I have since moved back to NY. He still lives in CA. He has $0 income and I know that he is running his credit cards into debt. I cannot file for divorce in NY until I live here for 1 year. NY & CA have different laws concerning credit cards. Once my husband's credit cards to go collections (which will happen), are collectors going to come after me? What options do I have?

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

The credit card company will not contact you since you are not on the cards. Obviously, you should file for divorce in NY at the earliest possible moment.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York