Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Ex husband is withholding a third of the child support . I have a lot of ifinancial information about him and he was earning 300000 a month in 2009. but how much could it cost to get a forensic accountant to find out what assets he has since he will try to hide them

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

You may not need a forensics accountant. If there is a child support order then it is his burden of proof. You are entitled to discovery and you can hire your own expert witness to review his financial data, but it may not be necessary. Before hiring a forensics expert you should have a consultation with an attorney.

David Browde David A. Browde, P.C.

I'd disagree with Mr. Trager, to a point. You'll certainly not need a forensic accountant for the child support arrears. But you may need one for other reasons, in which case the costs could run into the low tens of thousands of dollars depending upon the complexity of the analysis necessary.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York