New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/08/12, 12:22 pm

My stepmother adopted me a few years years ago, and her name replaced my long-deceased birthmother's name on my birth certificate. Since 2 years ago she separated from my father and the two are now in a divorce process. Do I have to wait until they are legally divorced to restore my birthmother's name on my certificate? Or, can I enlist the services of a lawyer and have it done as soon as possible?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/12/12, 12:04 am by Paula McGill

How old are you?

If you are at least 21, you can change your name anytime you want. You don't need a lawyer to do it.

If you are under 21, the name change may be part of the divorce decree to save everyone time and money. Talk with your parents.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Paula McGill Attorney at Law 4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda, MD 20814

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search