Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

9 years ago I was accused for stealing a sweater from the retail store. I was arrested and pleated guilty. Since this was my first offense the judge treated it as misdemeanor I was ordered to complete 4 days of community service and after that my case was dismissed. I am applying for naturalization now and I have to disclose the reason for the arrest. There is not enough space in forms to describe the situation with details. I am not sure whether I should write shoplifting, petit larceny or petit theft.

Brian D. Lerner Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation

Criminal Naturalization Application

The Naturalization Application must be filed. If done properly, it will take a few months to receive the fingerprinting notice, and then several more months to receive the naturalization interview to obtain U.S. Citizenship. Shortly thereafter, if approved, you will have the swearing in ceremony to become a U.S. Citizen. Please note that many people find themselves getting the application denied or being placed into deportation/removal proceedings because of past conduct.  Because there is past criminal history involved in this Naturalization application, there is certainly the risk and possibility that the application could result in the issuance of the Notice to Appear for deportation/removal proceedings. However, if done properly, there is a reasonable chance of success and the law permits an approval on this type of application. 

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York