Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

My neighbor just filed a lawsuit against me based on a dispute over the boundary line of adjoining properties. His claim is based on the doctrine of adverse possession. Can you explain this to me?

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

There was a time when if a neighbor started using your land (typically a flower bed) and got away with it for ten years, the land was theirs. Recently, New York's highest court changed the law. If you don't have a deed that you think covers the land in dispute then you can't get it by adverse possession. This dispenses with the insanely-complex rules about the openness and notoriety of the adverse possession. In other words, in order for an adverse possession claim to succeed, there has to be a defect in your title. Notify your title company if you have one. Otherwise, expect a legal bill in the $5,000 range.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York