New York  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/04/13, 3:27 pm

I am being served with papers for ownership, for property purchased by my husband and a sister and brother, all are deceased,my deceased husband's niece, has sent an attorney letter to me that she is the sole owner,she is an only child, my deceased husband and I also has a daughter, the other brother has no dependents, it's one(1) lot of land she has since probated the estate without our knowledge, and has removed her mother's name and placed it with her name, I have no money to obtain an attorney, could you tell me what can I do, thank you very much, my husband, daughter and myself was not in the country to read of any probate, please help me, we are from Trinidad.

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/05/13, 10:01 am by Walter LeVine

I need to see a copy of the original Deed, as it may explain your rights, or lack of them. Depending on how the original title reads, the niece may be correct. For example, if the original Deed named the 3 owners as owners with "rights of survivorship" and the neice's parent was the last to die, she may be correct. The original Deed registration determines this.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Walter D. LeVine, Esq. 23 Vreeland Road #102 Florham Park, NJ 07932

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search