North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/30/98, 10:14 pm

What state to file for child support.

I am trying to find out what state I need to pursue child support in. I live in Texas and the father of my child lives in North Carolina. I moved to Texas from North Carolina during my pregnancy. The child was born in Texas. Can I get the order for child support in Texas and have it then filed in NC? Or do I need to go through NC Courts? Thank you for your help.

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/16/99, 1:04 pm by Cynthia Carroll

Re: What state to file for child support.

If the child has lived in Texas for 6 months, then you may file in Texas. Then the order could be registered in NC for enforcement. However, it may be faster to simply file in NC. But you need to be aware that the state issuing the order will also be the state to modify the order down the road, unless none of the parties resides in the state.

Cynthia Carroll

Cynthia Y. Carroll, P.A.

1916 S. Glenburnie Road

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Cynthia Y. Carroll, P.A. 1916 S. Glenburnie Road New Bern, NC 28561

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search