Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

My 17 year old daughter committed larceny of $104 at a Walmart store. Walmart' s attorney stated that they will not press civil charges but she still need to attend her court date. What will happened if she plead guilt? Or what will happened if she ask for a court appointed attorney at court?

Asked on 7/14/13, 1:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Clarke Dummit Dummit Fradin (Winston-Salem Office)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Walmart does not get a say in the criminal charges. She has been charged by the State, and she will end up with a criminal record if she pleads guilty. If she is still under the age of 18 when she pleads guilty, then she may apply for an expungement years later, but the damage will be done. Hire a criminal defense attorney and let her/him do their job. There is a good likelihood that a criminal defense attorney could work out a deal such that it does not go on her record; possibly even a dismissal of the charge. But Walmart does not have that option.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/13, 1:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now