North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/28/13, 5:50 am

My daughter wanted to spend more time with me so I hired a lawyer to change the visitation to allow every other weekend and 3 non-consecutive weeks in the summer, split holidays and birthday. I was granted joint legal custody as well as the modification to the visitation. During the chats with my lawyer I mentioned my name was not on my daughters birth certificate since her mother and I never married and her mother gave her the last name of a man she was previously involved with but never married instead of mine. I was not aware that I could have mine name added until now. So the lawyer sent out the proper paperwork to have my name added to the birth certificate and have my 14 year old daughters name legally changed to show my last name. Now she's upset and says that she's never coming to see me again if I pursue adding my name to her birth certificate and changing her name. I know she's being heavily influenced by her mother but I can't prove it. My daughter refuses to come see me and her mother is court ordered to bring her to my house every other weekends and she refuses to do that. What will happen if she doesn't comply with the recent court order?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search