Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina


My ex husband owed back child suppot. I had a judgement against him thru the courts. In the mean time he has died. Who if anyone is liable to now pay the back child support (judgement)? Does it get taken out of his estate? He was remarried and had a child from that marriage. Can his wife sell the house without paying the judgement? What rights do my children have in reguards to the estate?

Asked on 12/24/98, 10:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Schiff Self employed
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: estate

I don't know the specifics of the law of your state, but the estate should be liable. It is a debt of the estate. As far as the house is concerned, that would depend on whether or not it was his property passed on through the estate. Make sure you put in a claim with the Court handling the matter.

Jonathan Schiff

Self employed

605 Rose Hill Ave

Read more
Answered on 1/25/99, 7:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now