North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/21/05, 1:42 am

My mother adopted my daughter, I want her back

My wife got pregnant with our daughter shortly after we met, before we were married. We were legally adults, but were unsure of our future together, and our fitness as parents, because of our economic situation at the time, so my parents adopted her. Now, 6 years later, we are married, financially stable, and are expecting our sons birth soon. We have visited our daughter regularly, she knows that we are her birth parents, and we have maintained a relationship with her. Now, with the arival of our son, we would like to regain custody or partial custody of our daughter, so that she can grow up with her brother. My parents live 700 miles away, and my father has recently had a heart attack, and is suffering from severely decreased stamina, and decreased income. We want what is best for her. We don't want to traumatize her by taking her away from my parents abruptly, we would prefer that she spend summers here and maybe some holidays until she is comfortable staying with us. My parents however will probibly not consent to anything. Do I have any rights under North Carolina law, to reclaim her, or petition for partial custody? Thanks for your help.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search