Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Do i use a paralegal, or should i use a lawyer?

I left him 12 February 2003 with my 3yr 4 mo old child. He was abusive in every sense of the word. He would put my little boy to sleep early so he could watch and listen to porn. (I taperecorded because I felt i needed to). I need to divorce him, my retainer fee is 1500, which i don't have, unless i borrow. What happens if i use a paralegal? I can't chance him having any percent of my little boy. I left him with the intention of going back, but i knew he'd be so mad he'd be capable of killing me. If i use a paralegal, and he gets nasty will it hurt my chances of having full custody of my little boy?

Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: Do i use a paralegal, or should i use a lawyer?

I have seen many matters handled fairly well by a paralegal, however, a paralegal cannot appear for you in court. My recommendation is that you retain an attorney who can then also act to protect you and your child. My expectation is that he will be able to have time with the child and that custody will be shared. Call to discuss.

H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

if you email me directly with your contact information, my law firm should be able to work within your legal budget limits to help ensure justice is served for you in this matter.

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

The paralegal can only fillout the paper work with the information that you provide. An attorney will be able to advise you regarding the law and then give advise regarding the filing out of the legal forms.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina