Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

in a seperation or divorce

hello, i am not a american citizen but live in the united states with my husband and son. we have come to terms about getting a seperation or divorce. What will happen with our son if i decide to leave with him,and move home(canada) and if we go to court how do the courts determine who get our son. The main question i have is because im not a us citizen, do i have no rights to my son who is a us citizen. My husband seems to think because im not a citizen i will not get he right?

Asked on 1/14/07, 5:27 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Dennis Gibson Law Office of Dennis Gibson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: in a seperation or divorce

When determining who gets custody, the courts follow the general rule of what is in the best interests of the child. While exercising visitation over such a distance would be inconvenient, I don't think the courts would hold being Canadian against you.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/07, 6:39 pm
Judy Tseng Wake Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: in a separation or divorce

Your husband is wrong. The fact that you aren't an American citizen is irrelevant. As the other attorney said, the standard in determining child custody is "the best interests of the child." You should hire a lawyer if you and your husband cannot work out an arrangement yourselves. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/07, 9:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now