North Carolina  |  Legal Malpractice

Lawyer at fault?

Signed for auto accident settlement check last week. it was not my fault. Disbursments of medical bills, lawyer fee, and $ to myself were outlayed on settlement letter-I signed it thinking it was all fine.

Get a bill in mail today from hospital saying i still owe 2200. that only 500 was paid. I call lawyer in disbelief, they call hospital and then tell me that YES i do still owe that!?!?!? This amount was never on disbursement sheet(just the 500 that was paid), yet i did hand over this bill to my lawyer many times. When I signed for the check, I was counting on my lawyer(and from my memory at the time)that it was all correct. It WAS her responsibility to pay my medical before even giving me my part.

She says that she will try and talk them down from 2200??!!

Is she not the one at fault here? I already settled...plus, she took her % of settlement without the $2200 bill listed.

Shouldn't this just be between the hospital and lawyer from here on out???

If she doesn't listen to me, can I sue her for malpractice or turn in a complaint against her?

thanks for your time..if possible can i hear back ASAP??!!

Thankyou