North Carolina  |  Personal Injury

Subrogation in Auto Accident settlement

I got rear-ended in an auto-accident which necessiated Medical treatment. I was on Short Term Disability Insurance (got 80% pay, covered by Short Term Diability insurance plan at work) for 2 weeks. I have accumulated medical bills with a Chiropractor and Orthopedist for my treatment. My Health Plan at work is BCBS-NC which covered part of the medical treatment bills. I have settled with the auto insurance company of the person who hit me. BCBS has sent me a quesionaire asking if my treatment was work related (Its NOT). My questions are:

1. Out of the settlement amount, am I liable to pay BCBS-NC the amount they paid towards my medical treatment?

2. Am I legally bound to disclose to them that I have received settlement from the other person's auto insurance? The questionaire that BCBS-NC has sent me contains questions about whether I met with accident and if I hired a attorney (The way it is structured - I can simply answer YES/NO if it is Work Related injury. If YES - I need to fill the rest of the details. If NO, I need not. However, though my answer is NO, most of the questions they asked are still relevant to my situation and hence my dilemma).

Thanks for your time!

-Kumar