Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Does a grand daughter have rights over two surviving daughters because they never paid the taxes on the heirland.the grandaugher rented the house out and kept the money and paid taxes with the rent money. she never gave the daughters a dime. even though the daughters have the deed.

Asked on 6/24/10, 8:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Where is the real property located? I am assuming it is in NC. I am licensed to practice only in GA, PA & NC, so if it is located elsewhere, please seek the advice of an attorney in that state.

The answer is no. The only people who could seek partition of the real property would be someone who is a co-owner as listed on the deed, not a tenant.

If the daughters permitted the granddaughter to rent the home and pay the taxes, then the granddaughter is a tenant. The granddaughter acquires no ownership rights by adverse possession because she is there with permission of the property owners. Once the permission is withdrawn and the granddaughter does not leave seek eviction immediately. Otherwise, the granddaughter may be able to claim adverse possession, but she would have to live on the property for 20 years. The time clock would start from whenever permission to rent is withdrawn.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/10, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88693 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now