Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in North Carolina

My father passed away in March 2010 without a will or estate. I just received a letter from the IRS addressed to my Dad stating that he owed $2500 for the year 2010. To my knowledge tax forms were not submitted for the year 2010. My father received a small amount each month from SS and he had a government pension. He also had small interest payments. The total for the year in question was less then 10,000. My Dad was 92 and legally blind. Do I respond to this letter or return it marked Deceased?

Asked on 7/21/13, 11:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Even when someone dies, a final tax return has to be filed on their behalf. Was this done here? Your post suggests not. I would contact a CPA and file a final tax return for your father.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 12:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now