Legal Question in Business Law in Ohio

Business names

I am starting a small, local computer training business and haven't registered a name yet, but have a couple small ads running with a slogan-type name (Your Computer Helper). I found what appears to be a good-sized company online with the same name. They do training too, but much more than that, and on what seems to be a national level. I did a trademark search online and didn't find the name. Am I in danger of legal action using the same name as this other company?

Shalem Shem-Tov The Shem-Tov Law Firm, Inc.

Re: Business names

You might be. Just because the name is not registered as a trademark is not enough. A name (called a "mark" in trademark lingo) can also be protected without a registration through various methods. One is known as "secondary meaning", which affords protection to a mark that is already recognized by the public even if it's not registered.

Also, I did a quick search and found other companies with REGISTERED marks that are very similar: "Computer Helper USA", "The Computer Helper", and several registrations for "Computer Helpers". All this means that you really should stay away from this name.

There is another problem: "Your Computer Helper" describes what you do, and is known as a "merely descriptive mark". Such marks are very weak and are usually not a good choice. Further, you will have a hard time registering such a name.

I specialize in helping new and small businesses with issues like this, and would be happy to discuss your options with you. Please contact me.

More Business Law questions and answers in Ohio

Business Law Legal Forms