Ohio  |  Criminal Law

Recently I was been cited for paraphernalia charge, this is a first offense and I have court in the next couple days. Although I was cited for the paraphernalia there wasn't any actual drugs in the vehicle. I am a currently a full-time student receiving financial aid. What plea would you advise I take? Also, would it aid me to show evidence that I am a productive member of society (school transcript)? If I do plead not guilty and are found guilty in the end, is it likely that the judge will be harsher?

Answered on: 2/04/13, 2:24 pm by Joseph Jacobs

Since this is an actual criminal offense you really should plead not guilty at your arraignment. Once you've done that you will be given a lawyer if you can't afford one, but at the very least you will be given a pre-trial date to hopefully resolve the case with the prosecutor. Don't just simply take a conviction. Save the good things you've done in your life for the prosecutor, not the arraignment judge... Call me directly after your not guilty plea and I'll guide you thru this. 216.952.1990.

The Jacobs Legal Group 15614 Detroit Avenue Cleveland, OH 44107