Legal Question in Elder Law in Ohio

My sister and I are both executors of our mothers estate.My brother in law is trying to take over her rental properties,What can I do?

Christine Socrates Christine Sabio Socrates, Attorney at Law

As a co-executor of the estate, you have the power and the duty to protect your mothers assets during the probate process. You need to look at the will to see what power you have in acting for the estate. It should state whether you and your sister can act independently or if everything must be done together. You have every right to prevent your brother in law from taking over the rental properties unless your sister has given him that right and the will states she is able to do so without your consent. If you need further assistance, please contact my office at http://www.socrateslegal.com .

More Elder Law questions and answers in Ohio