Ohio  |  Civil Litigation

religious freedoms on campuses

what amendment or cases would support a Jewish child refusing to follow the residency requirement at Yale University due to his beliefs in Judaism? he doesn't like the girls staying over night

Answered on: 6/29/08, 2:47 pm by J. Norman Stark

Re: religious freedoms on campuses

Dear Yaley:

As long as the girls don't stay overnight with you, or in your room, I see no violation of Jewish laws.

Seriously, I know of no American laws, judicial decisions, or other rules or enactments upon which you can rely, since none of the acts of which you complain are directed towards you or intentionally interfere with your own rights or observation of Talmudic laws. If anything you may wish to be tolerant of the transgressions of others, so long as they do not directly interfere with your religious practices and observance.

Unless I am mistaken, our Talmud teaches us tolerance of other persons' transgressions, and we should be forgiving, for they know not that what they do is sinful, in the eyes of G_d.

Shalom and good luck in your studies and career.

Sincerely, J. Norman Stark, Cleveland, Ohio.

J. Norman Stark , Attorney, Architect 17000 St. Clair Aveue Cleveland, 44110-2535